You are currently browsing the category archive for the ‘Socks’ category.
It’s all about the Sock Summit 2011, but it’s not just about knitting socks. Sock Summit was one heck of a big party for knitters, spinners and fiber enthusiasts.
Rachel & Natale talk at the sock summit
- Sock Summit
- Craft Lit Podcast
- Petite Purls
- Sweet Georgia Yarns Pomegranate
- Sierra Summer Lace Cardigan Wrap (PDF)
- World’s Largest Sock
- Portland Yarn Store List
Sweet Georgia Yarns
- Director Park Downtown Portland OR
- Sweet Georgia Yarns
- Shop Sweet Georgia Yarns
- Sweet Georgia’s Ravelry Group
- Felecia’s Twitter ID: @HeySweetGeorgia
About Knitting & Spinning with Silk Hankies
Bethany Hendrickson and Fleece to Foot
PurpleYarnQueen’s hand spun sock yarn in all it’s purple glory!
Me waiting in the sun by the Bell before the No Po walking trek
The long line during the opening day of the Marketplace
Report out from 2011’s Blacksheep Gathering in Eugene, Oregon. I find the wheel of my dreams. A little about our lovely national holiday and knitting during the American Revolutionary War.
Bugle Rag Call – Glen Miller
McTavish Farms (Contact Tom for more info on McTavish Wheelworks and his fabulous spinning wheels)
Dicentra Designs on Etsy / On Ravelry
StitchJones (On Etsy)
Dudelace Group on Ravelry
Good Reads Book List on US History
No Idle Hands
Monmouth Hat Pattern
- There’s a bit about a hike in the woods and knitting socks in nature
- Something about lace for dudes.
- Mention of podcasts I love from across the pond.
- and the continuation of the sock saga.
- Erosional Chimney
- Seabuckthorn Plant (WIkipedia)
- Sea Berry Plant (One Green World Catalog)
- Exploring Shimada’s Sock Class (Class is taught by Gayle Roehm)
- Purl District in Silverton, OR
- Knitting Thimble
- Dudelace Group on Ravelry
- Sock Summit Group on Ravelry
- I Am Addicted (Natalie’s Blog)
- Natknit Daily
- On twitter you can find me as: @Cloudynatknit
Other Tutorials and Support
Sock Pattern Links
Shake that Little Foot – Lark in the Clean Air
This is the one where I knit socks, socks and more socks… and try the Starmore sweater one more time!
Alice Starmore’s Lochinver
Black Sheep Gathering in Eugene June 24-26
Black Sheep Bingo
Contest Thread – Help me figure out what to do with this yarn!
Information about the No Po informal walking tour (Ravelry) – I’ll be updating this more…
Originally released on 7/24/10
Rachel’s Chat on the Fine Art of Knitting Socks
- Top downsources for good design: Cookie A’s Sock Innovation and Nancy Bush’s Knitting Vintage Socks, Folk Socks, Knitting on the RoadToe up short row toes and heels
- Judy’s Magic Cast on for toe up socks
- Sources for good design: Wendy D. Johnson and Chrissy Gardiner
- Knitty article on starting to knit toe up
- Two at a Time/Magic Loop
- Great divide: double pointed needles or circular needles!!
- Why I like dpns
- Complicated patterns that need a lot of counting
- Some yarns don’t do well with the pulling of cables
- Looks complicated and bad ass to have 4-5 needles going at once.
- Easier to work the gusset with more room on the needles to spread out
- Why I like circular needles
- Very difficult to lose your needle
- Two socks at one time on one LONG circular needle
- Feels faster than shuffling needles
- Why I like dpns
- Tools I like
On/Off Our Needles
- Cavern Cardigan
- Panda Bamboo (discontinued :(!)
- Black Sheep Gathering
- Knit n’ Walk Bags – from Knit Purl Sew What?
- Tussah Silk
- Verb for Keeping Warm
- Sodera Socks
- Child’s First Socks in Shell Pattern from Knitting Vintage Socks
- Montego Bay Scarf – IK Link(Interweave Knits Summer 2007)
- Ashland, Oregon
- Log Cabin Blanket – Cool little blogpost and photos from January One
- Great American Afghan – the one with the crab pattern square
- Nautie the Nautillus
BTW – I could not validate the legend or tradition of giving away opals as ‘spiteful’ gifts. But I did find out that apparently Sir Walter Scott started a rumor/superstition that it was bad luck to give Opals to people who were not born in October… Sir Walter, really? But Queen Victoria luckily dispelled the rumour by giving them away as gifts. (She probably had stock in Australian Opal mines).
How to get a hold of us…. visit our blog/podcast site at http://nkilkenny.libsyn.com or use our gmail email@example.com
Music and Audio Selections:
Originally aired 7/13/10
It’s time for you Northwesters to stretch your geography muscles. I was at a particular riverside setting. Can you guess where I was?
Everyday Inspired Knits:
- Pear Apple Cozy by Susan B. Anderson
- Wishy Washy Fishy Tawashi by Rhonda White
- Tribble by Abigail – 1870pearl
- Felted Moebius Basket by Cat Bordhi
My apologies to Rhonda White for mentioning Knitting Nonsense which is the place where the pattern is published and to Abigale – 1870pearl for not catching your entire Ravelry handle.
Crocheted Steampunk Gloves – a 3 hour class at the Naked Sheep Knitshop in North Portland, OR – Saturday (August 14) 1:00-4:00pm
Remember students receive 10% OFF all purchases one week before class begins through the last day of class
Yarns Used – Cascade Heritage Sock & Collinette Sock Yarn Fedora Primo – great little hat shop in Santa Monica, CA
Contest #1 for Northwest Natives – Prize = Shetland handspun made by me in a natural fawn brown.
Please note where this is. What river am I on? What’s the name of the park where we’re at?
Contest #2 for Everyone Else – Prize = 300 yards of Yarnia – bamboo yarn (DK weight)
What is making the sounds at the end of the podcast??
For both contests note in the comments 1.) The contest number 2.) Your location 3.) Your guess As I noted you have until 8/15 to respond to the comments. I’ll announce the winners in our next podcast after that date. If you want to send us your answers… e-mail us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Here’s the photo for contest #1 (Hint there’s a bridge in the distance)
Clue # 2 This was the view on the way there…
Music Selections this Podcast:
Originally released on 5/10/10
- Naked Sheep Knit Shop
- Panda Bamboo
- Elsebeth Lavold Yarns: Hempathy, Cool Wool, Bambool
- Pause Restaurant and Bar
- Something Red by Wendy Bernard in Sierra Quattro by Cascade
- Custom Knits by Wendy Bernard
- Bianca’s Jacket in Cascade Luna Paints
- Lolo bars – great for moisturising when working with materials that dry out your hands
- Crochet with Wire by Nancie Wiseman
- Didn’t mention it in the chat but Dava Bead & Trade in Pdx is a great source for that 28 gauge wire. Sorry… apparently they do not carry 30 gauge.
On/Off The Needles
- Natalie’s On/Off the Needles:
- Tank Dress Pattern from 2010 Spring/Summer Vogue Knitting– (3rd Dress in the Ivory Coast collection) Natalie is knitting in Hempathy
- Yarnia Bamboo/Cotton Blend Top Down Raglan
- Podcast Music (all music from the Internet Archive)
Darling Je Vous Aime Beaucoup – D’Jango Reinhardt
- More than You Know – Billie Holiday
- Big Rock Candy Mountain – Burl Ives
Originally Released on 3/30/10
Welcome the episode all about Dyeing yarn. We explore the idea of re-purposing yarn through dyeing as well as focusing on old unattended projects. It’s all about appreciating what you’ve got and maybe giving it a ‘brand new frock.’ 🙂
- We used both Country Classic and Jacquard Dyes
- Dharma Trading is a great resource for dyeing supplies and tutorials. This is where I got the “spongy paintbrushes” and Synthropol.
- Dye Instructions (Knitting by Zen) – including how to set in the Microwave
- Elann Yarns used – (currently not an open product page on the Elann site because they’re out of stock but you can search for the yarns under these names in Ravelry if you have an account):
- Elann Undyed Superwash Merino and Silk
- Elann Undyed Soybean
- Forgot to add – Creatively Dyed Yarns (some gorgeous examples of the speckled dye work)
- Recommended Books and Resources
- The Naked Sheep Knit Shop
- Sock yarn Blanket by Shelley Kang (Rav Group)Scrappy Lengthwise Scarf (Rav Link)
BBC Comedy Gold:
- The Good Life (Just a side note – Tom and Barbara already had paid off their house so going self-sufficient might have been more of an option :))
- Waving Lace Socks from Interweave’s Favorite Socks
- Saucy Sock (Free pdf)
- Tangled Yoke Cardigan from Interweave Knits Store
- Rivendell Socks from the Eclectic Sole or individual download
- Sock Yarn Blanket (Ravelry Sock Blankie Group)Log Cabin Blanket
- The Lotrop Bag – Here’s blogger who’s got a gorgeous example. Sorry I’m a slacker… I have no photo yet but will post my later.